Revival

A message from Brigid ....

I have been a blogger since 2005. At the height of my blogging busy-ness, I had "a small stable" of blogs on different topics: social and political commentary; desert spirituality; food; waste and ....

A few years ago I called time and ceased blogging altogether - although there was an occasional post. I had called it quits. I am an aged woman these days with a couple of serious illnesses. I am not allowed to drive. I am no longer active in organisations. I think it fair to say that I am housebound. I am active on Facebook, although I am not there as often as once I was. I have decided to embark on a re-entry into the blogging world ... beginning with The Trad Pad and, possibly, a return to my food blog, Oz Tucker. I have always used a lot of photographs on my blogs ... and I miss not being out and about with my camera.

The Trad Pad has been my blog for the lovely things of life. The controversial or political has seldom intruded. Occasionally, the spiritual has found its way in, but I kept spirituality for the blog, Desert. I don't yet know if I will revive that. I will stick pretty much to food and the lovely things of life. If I have some regularity with those two categories, I feel that I will be doing well. I hope that, with this blog new friendships can be formed and old friendships renewed; new lovelies discovered; new reflections can enter into the meaning of modern life. I would love to hear from you - particularly if you have suggestions for new topics to enter into the conversation. So, it is a new year. Let's see what it has in store, what it can bring to us. And I hope that those who share the spirit of The Trad Pad can spread the message of a world of beauty, the creativity of humanity, and the joys of simplicity and tradition. ~~~ February, 2017

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

The challenge of the cheap is on....

Jennifer over at The Felt Mouse has issued a challenge. Apparently, in the US they have 99c shops. I pleaded a special case saying that - perhaps because of the exchange rate - we have $2 shops not 99c ones. The challenge includes a table setting + food. Now I don't know of a $2 shop that sells food in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne. Does anyone out there know of somewhere? Do any of my blog friends in the eastern suburbs range wish to join in either with your own entry or making a joint effort with me? My mind is running along the following lines. Next Wednesday, February 1, is St Brigid's day - and she's my patron saint. Now, in Ireland she is as big as St Patrick - so I'm thinking this could be the theme. Green and shamrocks. Just recently Herself purchased a green dinner set at a Sallies Op Shop. This could be a good start. I think things could go from there. Advice, views, etc most welcome!

5 comments:

Justin said...

I am so doing this! I long for the time when I lived in East St Kilda filled as it was with $2 shops and op-shops...

In brisbane I will have to confine myself to $1 and $2 purchases from Op Shops and "Bargain Shops" because Brisvegas is not blessed with the $2 shop chain...I will however compete to win - as we have a "Chilli's" here in Brisbane...so I can use that voucher!

Unknown said...

Onya Karyn. I tried some op shops and discount shops around the hills to-day without much luck. Will have to try East St Kilda.

Gina E. said...

Are you including the "reject shops" chain in this, Ms Eagle? There is one in the Greensborough Centre, that sells quite a lot of foodstuffs. Biscuits, canned and packet food - not fresh stuff of course, but I imagine you could make a meal out of what they sell. I can't remember which floor it's on - but I can see it in my mind right now. Now that I am thinking about it, there are two of these kind of shops in the Complex - one is opposite Lincraft and Dick Smith, and that is not the one I originally refer to. And can't remember the big store it is next to - sorry!!! It is either a $2 shop or a Reject Shop, but they are pretty much the same thing, aren't they. And you do find some interesting stuff in them.

Unknown said...

Gina = thanks for this. As a newby (17 months) to Melbourne I haven't got to Greensborough yet? Where is it and how do I get there from Upper Gully.

Gina E. said...

Gosh, now you're asking! I could tell you I guess, but it would take more than a comment on your blog! Easiest way is to log into whereis.com, type your address and then Main Street, Greensborough as the place where you want to go, and voila - you will be supplied with a mud map and instructions. Greensbor. is a bit further out from Doncaster, and is on the Hurstbridge rail line. Hope this is of some help. I would be happy to meet up with you on the way over from FTG, so you could follow me in your car?

ShareThis