Revival

A message from Brigid ....

I have been a blogger since 2005. At the height of my blogging busy-ness, I had "a small stable" of blogs on different topics: social and political commentary; desert spirituality; food; waste and ....

A few years ago I called time and ceased blogging altogether - although there was an occasional post. I had called it quits. I am an aged woman these days with a couple of serious illnesses. I am not allowed to drive. I am no longer active in organisations. I think it fair to say that I am housebound. I am active on Facebook, although I am not there as often as once I was. I have decided to embark on a re-entry into the blogging world ... beginning with The Trad Pad and, possibly, a return to my food blog, Oz Tucker. I have always used a lot of photographs on my blogs ... and I miss not being out and about with my camera.

The Trad Pad has been my blog for the lovely things of life. The controversial or political has seldom intruded. Occasionally, the spiritual has found its way in, but I kept spirituality for the blog, Desert. I don't yet know if I will revive that. I will stick pretty much to food and the lovely things of life. If I have some regularity with those two categories, I feel that I will be doing well. I hope that, with this blog new friendships can be formed and old friendships renewed; new lovelies discovered; new reflections can enter into the meaning of modern life. I would love to hear from you - particularly if you have suggestions for new topics to enter into the conversation. So, it is a new year. Let's see what it has in store, what it can bring to us. And I hope that those who share the spirit of The Trad Pad can spread the message of a world of beauty, the creativity of humanity, and the joys of simplicity and tradition. ~~~ February, 2017

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Family sayings - 1


In the long, long ago in Miss Eagle's girlhood, little Miss Eagle was searching for something in the big reclining Ottoman where her mother stored all sorts of stuff. Little Miss Eagle discovered a UFO: a beautiful linen supper cloth which her mother had worked beautifully many years before but had not completed. Litt Miss Eagle asked her mother why she had not completed it because she did such beautiful embroidery. LME's mother said "I would rather spend the time making a dress. You can wear it". This became a saying in Miss Eagle's family as a criterion of practicability and workability. "Can your wear it?"

Solutions to problems and political policies would be judged by the same yardstick...but can you wear it!

Postscript: If you, dear Reader, have a similar story of family comments turning into family wisdom, please share.

4 comments:

Miss Robyn said...

I have always wondered who 'they' were. they said this or they said that would happen ... I heard it when I was a child. and another - don't care was made care. I would be over the moon if someone would or could explain that to me.

Unknown said...

Ms Robyn, Miss Eagle doesn't know who 'they' is/are either. She does know her mother used to pull her hair out with "..but Sister said." Yes Miss Eagle, is the product of the Sisters of Mercy and an Aussie Irish-Catholic education.

Gina E. said...

Miss Eagle, I have a cupboard full of other people's UFOs (we won't go into my own..), and as I add each new find to my collection, I wonder about the person who started stitching the item, but never to finish it. Maybe like my MIL, they started working on their glory box, but after they got married and had babies, there just wasn't enough time. Or perhaps they were started by someone who would have finished them, but died suddenly. Or maybe, like me - they just had to have everything they saw in the shops, and when they realised they would never have the time to finish everything, hoped to rediscover the UFOs in their next six incarnations!

Unknown said...

Gina, Miss Eagle has a UFO - one that belonged to her Mum. When her mother died 14 years ago she was in the middle of doing an afghan rug for her youngest grandson. His mother wasn't going to do it, so Miss E volunteered - and guess what? Its UFO status remains unaltered and grandson is 28 years old. Don't know that he would still be interested in a crocheted afghan rung - but Miss E now lives in the cooler climes of Melbourne and winter is drawing in. Miss E is at least starting to think that maybe she should give it a go - and most of the credit will have to go to all you craft blogging gals who make Miss E feel so lazy and clumsy.

ShareThis