Revival

A message from Brigid ....

I have been a blogger since 2005. At the height of my blogging busy-ness, I had "a small stable" of blogs on different topics: social and political commentary; desert spirituality; food; waste and ....

A few years ago I called time and ceased blogging altogether - although there was an occasional post. I had called it quits. I am an aged woman these days with a couple of serious illnesses. I am not allowed to drive. I am no longer active in organisations. I think it fair to say that I am housebound. I am active on Facebook, although I am not there as often as once I was. I have decided to embark on a re-entry into the blogging world ... beginning with The Trad Pad and, possibly, a return to my food blog, Oz Tucker. I have always used a lot of photographs on my blogs ... and I miss not being out and about with my camera.

The Trad Pad has been my blog for the lovely things of life. The controversial or political has seldom intruded. Occasionally, the spiritual has found its way in, but I kept spirituality for the blog, Desert. I don't yet know if I will revive that. I will stick pretty much to food and the lovely things of life. If I have some regularity with those two categories, I feel that I will be doing well. I hope that, with this blog new friendships can be formed and old friendships renewed; new lovelies discovered; new reflections can enter into the meaning of modern life. I would love to hear from you - particularly if you have suggestions for new topics to enter into the conversation. So, it is a new year. Let's see what it has in store, what it can bring to us. And I hope that those who share the spirit of The Trad Pad can spread the message of a world of beauty, the creativity of humanity, and the joys of simplicity and tradition. ~~~ February, 2017

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Nature v Nurture? Or kids being their own individual selves?

In response to my previous post, Denis talked about the nature v nurture situation in his experience in daughter-raising. Miss Eagle's own experience was her determination to steer her two sons away from a military mindset. Miss Eagle's sons did not join the Boy Scouts because of the Scouts' tendency to get involved with the army. Sons joined the Boys' Brigade instead. No guns were allowed in the house. Gun shaped water pistols were barely tolerated. But then what happened?

No. 2 Son while still in his high chair would chew his crusts of bread into a gun shape. When he was barely big enough to hold a hammer, he would get two scraps of wood and a nail and attempt to hammer them into a gun. But No. 2 Son is a pacifist. He grew up to be a very quiet and peaceful man interested in poetry and the environment. So nature v nurture. Horsefeathers! The cards go up in the air, in Miss Eagle's view, and land where they may. What are your experiences of nature v nurture?

1 comment:

Mary on Norfolk Island said...

Hey, the first four of my five kids grew up with no exposure to TV. and therefore did not know what guns were! However they had a toy mouth organ in the shape of a gun. When NSW visitors came with kids the same age,they brought a toy gun, which my son immediately put to his mouth and tried to "play". On the strength of that, these visitors decided they wanted to move to Norfolk Island (but proved an unrealistic dream!)
BTW, did not stop my boys all owning air rifles etc as older teenagers, but they were definitely not aggressive.

ShareThis