Revival

A message from Brigid ....

I have been a blogger since 2005. At the height of my blogging busy-ness, I had "a small stable" of blogs on different topics: social and political commentary; desert spirituality; food; waste and ....

A few years ago I called time and ceased blogging altogether - although there was an occasional post. I had called it quits. I am an aged woman these days with a couple of serious illnesses. I am not allowed to drive. I am no longer active in organisations. I think it fair to say that I am housebound. I am active on Facebook, although I am not there as often as once I was. I have decided to embark on a re-entry into the blogging world ... beginning with The Trad Pad and, possibly, a return to my food blog, Oz Tucker. I have always used a lot of photographs on my blogs ... and I miss not being out and about with my camera.

The Trad Pad has been my blog for the lovely things of life. The controversial or political has seldom intruded. Occasionally, the spiritual has found its way in, but I kept spirituality for the blog, Desert. I don't yet know if I will revive that. I will stick pretty much to food and the lovely things of life. If I have some regularity with those two categories, I feel that I will be doing well. I hope that, with this blog new friendships can be formed and old friendships renewed; new lovelies discovered; new reflections can enter into the meaning of modern life. I would love to hear from you - particularly if you have suggestions for new topics to enter into the conversation. So, it is a new year. Let's see what it has in store, what it can bring to us. And I hope that those who share the spirit of The Trad Pad can spread the message of a world of beauty, the creativity of humanity, and the joys of simplicity and tradition. ~~~ February, 2017

Saturday, December 01, 2007

Help, please! Weed on the way!

I need some advice, please.
Beside the bungalow in the backyard, is this evergreen shrub which produces lovely white flowers. It was here when we came. I always thought it was rather nice. To-day, I decided to trim it a little to cut it back a bit and knock it into shape. Then I discovered what a weed, what a pest it is. Underneath, were long dead canes. Over the top, sprouted new many-feet long canes. Behind it is a philodendron and they are in competition. I would prefer the philodendron. Could someone let me know how to manage this without resort to nasty chemicals or anything that will affect the soil or surrounding plants?


BubbleShare: Share photos - Safe Toys

2 comments:

Denis Wilson said...

Hi Miss Eagle

It looks like Abelia grandiflora to me. Tubular flowers in pale pinkish-white, but with persistent pink/brown bracts left on the bushy after the flowers finish.
Leaves are small, diamond shaped, and shiny, growing in opposite pairs (two leaves growing opposite eachother from nodes on the stem).

It is a big shrub, but I have not ever heard it described as a weed. But, a "weed" is a plant in the wrong place. If you prefer the Philodendron, then this plant is in the wrong place.

Generally "weeds" are plants which propagate too readily, in your garden, then down the local creek, and then out into the bush. As a Queenslander, you would know about the perils of Lantana and the blue -flowered "Morning Glory" Ipomoea indica - a huge and rampant vine which smothers trees in creeks in Brisbane. As a Melbournian (now) you would be aware of Blackberry as probably the most dominant weed of cool climates, that and the small, but dominant "Wandering Jew" which has smothered the ground in that string of parks (whose name I forget), along the Dandenong Creek.

Grasses, and Bamboo are in a different category, for grasses spread their seeds on the wind, and Bamboo is the classic "runner", which will grow under a fence, and up through a bitumen road on the other side.

By comparison, I would regard Abelia (if that is truly what you have) as a nice garden shrub, perhaps grown too large. You can cut it back (to ground level, and it will produce new "canes" - straight stems, to about 6 feet high, next year. Subsequently, the plant will thicken up, and flower again next spring.

But it is not a problem weed, like Privet, which sets one million seeds per plant each year, beloved by Silvereyes and Blackbirds. And the flowers of which are so heavily scented they drive hayfever suffers to tears for 3 weeks each November.

That is a real problem plant.

Cheers

Denis

Unknown said...

Denis, You have it nailed. Those "persistent pink/brown bracts" are horrific. They grow so long and sprout everywhere! However, you make it sound lovable: and I thought it was OK until I got intimate with it yesterday! I'll continue hacking and see where that leaves me. I'll get it back to or near ground level and then let it grow again - and keep it in line from then on: give or take the behaviour of the philodendron! I figure if I hadn't started hacking it back it would have taken over the whole side of the unit eventually! I'd say it would be a good option for those wanting to cover a huge area of land without much or any water.

Thank you for being a fount of wisdom.

Blessings and bliss

ShareThis