Revival

A message from Brigid ....

I have been a blogger since 2005. At the height of my blogging busy-ness, I had "a small stable" of blogs on different topics: social and political commentary; desert spirituality; food; waste and ....

A few years ago I called time and ceased blogging altogether - although there was an occasional post. I had called it quits. I am an aged woman these days with a couple of serious illnesses. I am not allowed to drive. I am no longer active in organisations. I think it fair to say that I am housebound. I am active on Facebook, although I am not there as often as once I was. I have decided to embark on a re-entry into the blogging world ... beginning with The Trad Pad and, possibly, a return to my food blog, Oz Tucker. I have always used a lot of photographs on my blogs ... and I miss not being out and about with my camera.

The Trad Pad has been my blog for the lovely things of life. The controversial or political has seldom intruded. Occasionally, the spiritual has found its way in, but I kept spirituality for the blog, Desert. I don't yet know if I will revive that. I will stick pretty much to food and the lovely things of life. If I have some regularity with those two categories, I feel that I will be doing well. I hope that, with this blog new friendships can be formed and old friendships renewed; new lovelies discovered; new reflections can enter into the meaning of modern life. I would love to hear from you - particularly if you have suggestions for new topics to enter into the conversation. So, it is a new year. Let's see what it has in store, what it can bring to us. And I hope that those who share the spirit of The Trad Pad can spread the message of a world of beauty, the creativity of humanity, and the joys of simplicity and tradition. ~~~ February, 2017

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

It's not a knock off...

...it is the real thing - a real Louis Vuitton. (Dear Reader, if you have not done so already, you may find that you need to read the last paragraph of this post.)

I am not long off the phone from my sister, The Director. The phone rang. I picked it up. The first words I heard coming down the line from Brisbane were...

It is NOT a knock-off.

You will recall the quandary I was in about whether this was a knock-off or the real McCoy. Herself had been over it with a fine-tooth comb explaining to me (the Clueless One) how some interior parts were so beautifully finished - and, without doubt, the manufacturer of a knock-off would not have been bothered.

We knew that The Director's personal and corporate style would demand The Real Thing. But, there was that nagging knowledge of what a canny and crafty shopper The Director is - across the globe, even.

Well, the mystery has been resolved. As in the best mysteries, the known facts were all true - not contradictory.

Known Fact No.1

The Director's personal and corporate style demanded that this be the Real Thing. TRUE

Know Fact No. 2

The Director is a canny and crafty shopper. TRUE

The answer to the mystery is that Miss Eagle is the third owner in succession of this bag. Herself is in the queue to be the fourth.

That canny and crafty Director purchased the Louis Vuitton second hand and estimates it now to be about six to seven years old. Now, why didn't I think of that. Because another attribute of The Director is that she is Queen of Consignment Fashion - high quality second hand clothing, usually with a designer label attached purchased at a fraction of the cost of the real thing.

The Director advises that one waits until the acquisitive classes have had their fling and discard. One then moves in for the kill bargain.

I have instructions for keeping it looking good.

  • Keep it in a sleeper bag made of calico. Alternatively, keep it in a pillow case. Never keep it in a plastic bag.
  • Once or twice a year dust of with a wipe of whatever sort of cream you usually clean your leather goods with.

The Director advises that the bag has been to Ireland at least three times. This will mean a few other places as well like London, Edinburgh, Manchester, Tuscany and New York.

The Director notes how well I like the shape, the size, the style, the commodious-ness of the bag. She advises that I am about to find out why so many women pay so much money for such a bag. .....Mmmm the feel of luxury. But ...aaaaah the craftsmanship.

PS: The picture above is not of the actual bag. The one in question is a different shape - but matches in all other respects.

3 comments:

Sharon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sharon said...

Hi there Miss Eagle,
I have been very remiss in 2007 and have just not caught up with anyone who have left messages on my blog - I will try to make amends in 2008!!!! At the moment I am busy cleaning the house and throwing - giving to op-shop :)- stuff that I no longer have use for - I am hoping that someone out there (like your good self or G )will find them and give them new useful homes.. Since watching the Abbey I have come to realise how much 'stuff' we gather around ourselves in order to fill the void in our lives... Whilst I still have a long way to go I am more determined this year to recycle what I already have rather than go and and buy more "stuff" I am trying very hard to see the glass as half full rather than half empty... I am wanting to embrace a 'slow' life and be more fruitful in my endeavours and begin to 'live' rather than 'going through the motions'. 2008 will be my year to experience and express rather than to have and possess. I am going to spend more time with my family and friends - taking pleasure in 'simple' and in the 'precious present' not galloping forward in my mind to some future time or event. No wonder i feel exhausted all of the time!!!!!

I came across an interesting blog in which the blogger was saying that rather than making new years resolutuins she chooses a word as her mantra for the year or as long as she feels the need for it. She warns against choosing too many and suggests a limit of two or three at the most... As I was reading I saw the word release and I knew in that instant that it was going to be my word for 2008 or as long as I need it... Perhaps its side kick could be 'useful'as I am feeling the need to bring into my life only the things that are immediately of some use...

LOL I am rambling here - I have also just twigged that this what I have written to you will be my first 2008 entry for the blank page... Thanks for listening B - may you and Herself have a wonderful 2008...xxx

Unknown said...

Great to hear from you Sharon. I will add a few more points over at BTBP. Happy New Year to you and Pete and all

Blessings and bliss

ShareThis