Revival

A message from Brigid ....

I have been a blogger since 2005. At the height of my blogging busy-ness, I had "a small stable" of blogs on different topics: social and political commentary; desert spirituality; food; waste and ....

A few years ago I called time and ceased blogging altogether - although there was an occasional post. I had called it quits. I am an aged woman these days with a couple of serious illnesses. I am not allowed to drive. I am no longer active in organisations. I think it fair to say that I am housebound. I am active on Facebook, although I am not there as often as once I was. I have decided to embark on a re-entry into the blogging world ... beginning with The Trad Pad and, possibly, a return to my food blog, Oz Tucker. I have always used a lot of photographs on my blogs ... and I miss not being out and about with my camera.

The Trad Pad has been my blog for the lovely things of life. The controversial or political has seldom intruded. Occasionally, the spiritual has found its way in, but I kept spirituality for the blog, Desert. I don't yet know if I will revive that. I will stick pretty much to food and the lovely things of life. If I have some regularity with those two categories, I feel that I will be doing well. I hope that, with this blog new friendships can be formed and old friendships renewed; new lovelies discovered; new reflections can enter into the meaning of modern life. I would love to hear from you - particularly if you have suggestions for new topics to enter into the conversation. So, it is a new year. Let's see what it has in store, what it can bring to us. And I hope that those who share the spirit of The Trad Pad can spread the message of a world of beauty, the creativity of humanity, and the joys of simplicity and tradition. ~~~ February, 2017

Wednesday, September 08, 2010

In search of the rushing, gushing Yarra River - Part 2

The Yarra River at Warrandyte at 3.30pm (approx) on Monday 6 September 2010

These pictures were taken from the walk below the Riverside Cark Park.  As you can see, the water was only about 50cm below the walkway.  Would not have taken much more to break the bank on this side.  The other side does not have a low embankment.

Please note the height of the bridge.  Even strong bridges can be damaged by drivers as one can see in the picture.  But there was a bridge before this bridge...
This memorial post commemorates 
the artist Walter Withers who was
a member of the famous Heidelberg School

Here is the Withers picture of the Old Bridge, Warrandyte.
Please note the wattle tumbling down the hilly embankment.
If you look closely in my pictures above, 
you will see wattle on that embankment - 
not as profuse as portrayed in the painting by Withers, 
but there still.

The Heidelberg School had something of a colony at Warrandyte at one time - although it was not the best known colony of this unique group of Australian artists.  The legacy, though, lingers on.  Warrandyte is still a place that attracts creative people.

The day was getting darker.
Lunch should have happened hours ago.
A lovely old building summoned and I pulled into the carpark.
Smoke rising into the eucalypts from a stone chimney is a welcoming sight.

First stop, a long overdue browse at The Linen and Larder...
and in through the beckoning doors...
Linen and Larder is bursting with good stuff - 
homewares, gifts, clothing, and stuff for eating and eating upon.
A return journey with credit card is required.
Perhaps some thoughts for Christmas.
You will find L & L here:
THE YARRA STORE
Linen & Larder
321 Warrandyte-Ringwood Road
Warrandyte, Vic 3113

Tummy was still calling ... but a little louder ...
and so to next door ...
... and the Stonehouse Cafe Restaurant.
It has hints of yesteryear - but the decor needs a few additions.
I would suggest a deal with Linen and Larder for the interior.
There are two large banks of windows
opening out on to a verandah under the gum trees
with greedy, nosy sulphur-crested cockatoos a-visiting.
These windows - set into their stone walls -
could do with a couple of school benches under them.
A perfect place for newspaper and coffee.

But back to my tummy ...
I asked for a bowl of hot tomato and herb soup ...
and the bread was s-o-o scrumptious ...
... with some hot chocolate ...
Tummy was well looked after - then home.

No comments:

ShareThis