Revival

A message from Brigid ....

I have been a blogger since 2005. At the height of my blogging busy-ness, I had "a small stable" of blogs on different topics: social and political commentary; desert spirituality; food; waste and ....

A few years ago I called time and ceased blogging altogether - although there was an occasional post. I had called it quits. I am an aged woman these days with a couple of serious illnesses. I am not allowed to drive. I am no longer active in organisations. I think it fair to say that I am housebound. I am active on Facebook, although I am not there as often as once I was. I have decided to embark on a re-entry into the blogging world ... beginning with The Trad Pad and, possibly, a return to my food blog, Oz Tucker. I have always used a lot of photographs on my blogs ... and I miss not being out and about with my camera.

The Trad Pad has been my blog for the lovely things of life. The controversial or political has seldom intruded. Occasionally, the spiritual has found its way in, but I kept spirituality for the blog, Desert. I don't yet know if I will revive that. I will stick pretty much to food and the lovely things of life. If I have some regularity with those two categories, I feel that I will be doing well. I hope that, with this blog new friendships can be formed and old friendships renewed; new lovelies discovered; new reflections can enter into the meaning of modern life. I would love to hear from you - particularly if you have suggestions for new topics to enter into the conversation. So, it is a new year. Let's see what it has in store, what it can bring to us. And I hope that those who share the spirit of The Trad Pad can spread the message of a world of beauty, the creativity of humanity, and the joys of simplicity and tradition. ~~~ February, 2017

Saturday, March 16, 2013

A garden, a giant cabbage and a Trad Pad

I love this grow yer own garden ...
befitting a Trad Pad
Wisconsin, 1895.
Just one thing?  What was the keeping quality of the cabbage?

2 comments:

Folkmusic with Poetry broadcast until 15/12/2013 on 96.5 FM said...

When I lived in my vardo before I was run over I used to enjoy the cabbage I bought from the Chinese vegetable & fruit shop in Redfern, Sydney. They were heavy solid green cabbage costing a fraction of the supermarket price. In fact in those days about the price that they sold a fifth of a cabbage for. That cabbage would last me unrefrigerated for a month before I had to start cutting the outer mould off to get at the still usable flesh. In comparison the supermarket cabbage would be lucky if it lasted a week before moulding. So it all depends on the freshness of the cabbage & how fussy you are about cutting the unusable mould off. I don't think it effects the compost though!

Brigid said...

Some people won't agree with me, but I love zip-lock bags. When one is in a small household or is a household of one, avoiding food wastage can be very difficult - particularly with the penchant for 'large' in both size and quantity at the supermarkets. Lettuce keeps for a week or more in the zl bag. I buy mushrooms at the fortnightly Lake Wendouree market. I come home; take the mushrooms from their bag; wrap them in a clean, dry tea-towel (this absorbs the moisture the mushrooms produce); and place them in the zl bag. My mushrooms last until the next market comes around. So, of course, I use the zls for cabbage too. I don't get mould. The lettuce can get a bit of rust if it's there too long and the cabbage goes grey on the outside but I keep cutting this off - as you did with the mould. I hate wasting food - although I do have a use for any wastage. It is the worm farm which keeps me in worm poo and worm juice and some composting material as well.

ShareThis