Revival

A message from Brigid ....

I have been a blogger since 2005. At the height of my blogging busy-ness, I had "a small stable" of blogs on different topics: social and political commentary; desert spirituality; food; waste and ....

A few years ago I called time and ceased blogging altogether - although there was an occasional post. I had called it quits. I am an aged woman these days with a couple of serious illnesses. I am not allowed to drive. I am no longer active in organisations. I think it fair to say that I am housebound. I am active on Facebook, although I am not there as often as once I was. I have decided to embark on a re-entry into the blogging world ... beginning with The Trad Pad and, possibly, a return to my food blog, Oz Tucker. I have always used a lot of photographs on my blogs ... and I miss not being out and about with my camera.

The Trad Pad has been my blog for the lovely things of life. The controversial or political has seldom intruded. Occasionally, the spiritual has found its way in, but I kept spirituality for the blog, Desert. I don't yet know if I will revive that. I will stick pretty much to food and the lovely things of life. If I have some regularity with those two categories, I feel that I will be doing well. I hope that, with this blog new friendships can be formed and old friendships renewed; new lovelies discovered; new reflections can enter into the meaning of modern life. I would love to hear from you - particularly if you have suggestions for new topics to enter into the conversation. So, it is a new year. Let's see what it has in store, what it can bring to us. And I hope that those who share the spirit of The Trad Pad can spread the message of a world of beauty, the creativity of humanity, and the joys of simplicity and tradition. ~~~ February, 2017

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The Blogging Blahs or How to Get a Real Life

Justin Hall, the first blogger

Computers have always tempted some members of the human race to hang around them ad infinitum ad nauseam. We call them geeks. Then a while ago along came blogs, blogging, and people like us who are called bloggers. Jane over at yarnstorm is taking a week off to read her eyes out of her head. Susan at Pea Soup is making apologies for her absence. I find that I have had to take time out not only for the pesky computer repairs but to get on with real life. But why apologise. The blogosphere is not real life - it is a description of life, it is a form of communication with similar people at the other end of the ether but it is not real life. Real life has family, kids, craft, books, art, travel, food, recipes, houses, decor, gardens, sewing, clothes, decorating - all things we can see and feel and touch and taste. And now I discover that Justin Hall, the very first blogger of them all, has given up blogging and is busy getting on with his own real life. His real life is comprised of writing articles about digital culture, making short videos, editing that wonderful gift, Wikipedia, and he's a graduate student in the Interactive Media Division at the University of Southern California School of Cinema-Television.

Brocante Home is passing on the idea of a "no computer" day: having a blog free day - and tips on how you might do it.

If you want to catch up with some very good articles on the world of blogging and put it all in perspective, I refer you to posts over at The Eagle's Nest here and here.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

It is interesting to note your last two entries... Both speak about life in their own ways...

For me life is so precious - not to be wasted for even a second... We can never regain what we have lost... As I have got older I understand the significance of the things my grandparents said in their time...

My fasination with blogging has begun to wane... Nothing makes up for the tactile experience... I have enjoyed the interaction of blogging and the opportunity to 'mix' with people who are like minded even meeting some from the net... I now however want something else... I am sure, that while my blogging days aren't over, they will gradually fade away... For everything there is a season...

ShareThis