Revival

A message from Brigid ....

I have been a blogger since 2005. At the height of my blogging busy-ness, I had "a small stable" of blogs on different topics: social and political commentary; desert spirituality; food; waste and ....

A few years ago I called time and ceased blogging altogether - although there was an occasional post. I had called it quits. I am an aged woman these days with a couple of serious illnesses. I am not allowed to drive. I am no longer active in organisations. I think it fair to say that I am housebound. I am active on Facebook, although I am not there as often as once I was. I have decided to embark on a re-entry into the blogging world ... beginning with The Trad Pad and, possibly, a return to my food blog, Oz Tucker. I have always used a lot of photographs on my blogs ... and I miss not being out and about with my camera.

The Trad Pad has been my blog for the lovely things of life. The controversial or political has seldom intruded. Occasionally, the spiritual has found its way in, but I kept spirituality for the blog, Desert. I don't yet know if I will revive that. I will stick pretty much to food and the lovely things of life. If I have some regularity with those two categories, I feel that I will be doing well. I hope that, with this blog new friendships can be formed and old friendships renewed; new lovelies discovered; new reflections can enter into the meaning of modern life. I would love to hear from you - particularly if you have suggestions for new topics to enter into the conversation. So, it is a new year. Let's see what it has in store, what it can bring to us. And I hope that those who share the spirit of The Trad Pad can spread the message of a world of beauty, the creativity of humanity, and the joys of simplicity and tradition. ~~~ February, 2017

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony

Image hosting by Photobucket

The excitement was evident this afternoon as people gathered to catch the train and head for the city. The Commonwealth Games were about to get underway in Melbourne, arguably Australia's most sports mad city.

The people above are set to go with their flags and the green and gold socks.

An old "W" type tram with wings flew into the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground) to begin the opening ceremony.

The MCG was the site of the 1956 Olympic Games - the first held in Australia.

The main events were about a young boy and a duck - and the boy's fantasy.

This was based on Michael Leunig's ubiquitous duck and Michael recited his duck poem

A Little Duck

by Michael Leunig

With a bit of luck

A duck

Will come into your life.

When you are at the peak

Of your great powers,

And your achievement towers

Like a smoking chimney stack,

There'll be a quack

And right there at your feet

A little duck will stand;

She will take you by the hand

And lead you

Like a child with no defence;

She will lead you

Into wisdom, joy and innocence.

The little duck.

I wish you luck.


The Queen alights from her Rolls Royce for the opening.

Cathy Freeman brought the Queen's Baton into the MCG and passed it to Ron Clarke.

Ron passed the Baton to Marjorie Jackson, the Governor of South Australia

I was getting excited then. I knew there was one more runner to come.

We had seen Herb Elliot earlier in the evening on the Yarra River when he took the Baton from Ron Barassi.

With Freeman, Clarke, and Jackson on the track it was clear who the fourth person had to be.

My eyes were brimming with tears. Such history!

And yes it was - the wonderful John Landy who has just retired as Governor of Victoria.

Delta Goodrem sang the theme song.

The Queen made the speech and declared the Commonwealth Games open.

HAVE FUN EVERYONE AND DO YOUR PERSONAL BEST

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Miss Eagle that is my railway station... If you knew how close i lived to that station I could have met you for coffee... It sounds as though you had lots of fun... We watched the local firework display from the front street and it was wonderful...

Unknown said...

That cup of vegemite soup will have to happen one day. I love the photo of the family on the railway platform. I took the photo from the train as you undoubtedly realise. The young fellow saw me and unfurled the flag. I love him, the girl wrapped in the flag, and mum in her green and yellow socks. To me it expresses the anticipation and excitement of the occasion. You had a local firework display? I thought the fireworks were wonderful. I usually find the New Year display rather tame after years of Sydney profligacy but last night's fireworks was fabulous - the town alight and on fire and the "waterfall" under the bridge as Ron Barassi climbed the stairs with the Queen's Baton was wonderful

ShareThis