Revival

A message from Brigid ....

I have been a blogger since 2005. At the height of my blogging busy-ness, I had "a small stable" of blogs on different topics: social and political commentary; desert spirituality; food; waste and ....

A few years ago I called time and ceased blogging altogether - although there was an occasional post. I had called it quits. I am an aged woman these days with a couple of serious illnesses. I am not allowed to drive. I am no longer active in organisations. I think it fair to say that I am housebound. I am active on Facebook, although I am not there as often as once I was. I have decided to embark on a re-entry into the blogging world ... beginning with The Trad Pad and, possibly, a return to my food blog, Oz Tucker. I have always used a lot of photographs on my blogs ... and I miss not being out and about with my camera.

The Trad Pad has been my blog for the lovely things of life. The controversial or political has seldom intruded. Occasionally, the spiritual has found its way in, but I kept spirituality for the blog, Desert. I don't yet know if I will revive that. I will stick pretty much to food and the lovely things of life. If I have some regularity with those two categories, I feel that I will be doing well. I hope that, with this blog new friendships can be formed and old friendships renewed; new lovelies discovered; new reflections can enter into the meaning of modern life. I would love to hear from you - particularly if you have suggestions for new topics to enter into the conversation. So, it is a new year. Let's see what it has in store, what it can bring to us. And I hope that those who share the spirit of The Trad Pad can spread the message of a world of beauty, the creativity of humanity, and the joys of simplicity and tradition. ~~~ February, 2017

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa

My name is Miss Eagle and I am an addict - a book addict, a magazine addict, a newspaper addict, an anything-in-print addict. Now the internet helps with this and it doesn't help. It saves me money. I no longer subscribe to newspapers. But my fix is there whenever I want it for however long I want it and I can read more than one thing at a time and blog and play games and check the email in between. So time is what I don't save.

When I lived in the middle of the Northern Territory, trips to Adelaide would include a trip to a proper bookshop. And it was Imprints in Hindley Street. Now I never ever did get to the back wall of Imprints. I'd get about six feet in the door and would be well over budget. Talk about smack for addicts! Now Imprints sell new books. I'm only slightly better in among used books. So here is one of my favourite second hand book shops. It is in Flinders Street up from Degraves Street.






Over in the Degraves Street tunnel from Flinders St Station, the owner of this bookshop died.

Image hosting by Photobucket
Inside the window, relatives have placed tags with prices of the books.
Outside the window, people have posted messages of appreciation.

Image hosting by Photobucket

2 comments:

Sharon said...

I love the 2nd handbookshop in Elizabeth street near Flinders lane... It is tucked away in the corner behind a coffee vendor and down some stairs... I am not sure what it is called but it is great... I can wander in it for ages... You sound like my kind of person miss eagle... I love books and working in a bookstore makes it worse... Even on my day off I browse in bookshops and I am always at the library...

Unknown said...

And Miss Sharon I used to be a librarian quite a while ago. I've always wanted to work in a bookshop, though.

ShareThis