Revival

A message from Brigid ....

I have been a blogger since 2005. At the height of my blogging busy-ness, I had "a small stable" of blogs on different topics: social and political commentary; desert spirituality; food; waste and ....

A few years ago I called time and ceased blogging altogether - although there was an occasional post. I had called it quits. I am an aged woman these days with a couple of serious illnesses. I am not allowed to drive. I am no longer active in organisations. I think it fair to say that I am housebound. I am active on Facebook, although I am not there as often as once I was. I have decided to embark on a re-entry into the blogging world ... beginning with The Trad Pad and, possibly, a return to my food blog, Oz Tucker. I have always used a lot of photographs on my blogs ... and I miss not being out and about with my camera.

The Trad Pad has been my blog for the lovely things of life. The controversial or political has seldom intruded. Occasionally, the spiritual has found its way in, but I kept spirituality for the blog, Desert. I don't yet know if I will revive that. I will stick pretty much to food and the lovely things of life. If I have some regularity with those two categories, I feel that I will be doing well. I hope that, with this blog new friendships can be formed and old friendships renewed; new lovelies discovered; new reflections can enter into the meaning of modern life. I would love to hear from you - particularly if you have suggestions for new topics to enter into the conversation. So, it is a new year. Let's see what it has in store, what it can bring to us. And I hope that those who share the spirit of The Trad Pad can spread the message of a world of beauty, the creativity of humanity, and the joys of simplicity and tradition. ~~~ February, 2017

Saturday, May 26, 2007

State of Origin and Queensland religious fervour

At the Melbourne Webloggers Meetup, Miss Eagle all of a sudden checked her watch. it was 8.45pm. Mmm..., she calculated. Walk to Flinders Street Station, train to Upper Gully, an hour on the train. Mmm... State of Origin 2007, Game 1 would be all over bar the shouting. So...wonder if that pub up in Swanston Street with the Kiwi landlord who keeps everyone up to date with Kiwi Rugby Union would be showing State of Origin on the big screen. London to a brick on, she thought. So she made her farewells and hotfooted it up to The Oxford Scholar in Swanston Street. Sure as eggs, the show was on.

Queensland support wore dismal faces. New South Wales had walloped them in the first half. Queensland was well and truly down 18-6. One could only imagine what was being said in the Queensland dressing room. Queenslander, Queenslander, Queenslander. Motivate, motivate, motivate.

Out they came. Miss Eagle can't remember when she saw a better second-half. The passing was superb. New South Wales was scoreless and it was their turn to be dismal. Read about it here. Now, our well-beloved, Mal Meninga attributes the win to Steve Price and Petero Civoniceva but, for Miss Eagle, she delighted in Johnathan Thurston. Over here, this review makes Steve the top-rated player for Queensland with Johnathan Thurston and that guts and all player, Tonie Carroll, tying for second highest rating. Thurston's boot was magic in conversion and - Miss Eagle had to smile - when she saw him trot out the old Alfe Langer field goal trick. The trick? Take any opportunity to score a field goal. Sure it is only a one pointer but if things get tight and there is a tie that one point is the difference between life and death.

Game 1? Superb.
Is it too much to ask that Queensland makes is three out of three.
Bring it on!

Johnathan Thurston

No comments:

ShareThis