Revival

A message from Brigid ....

I have been a blogger since 2005. At the height of my blogging busy-ness, I had "a small stable" of blogs on different topics: social and political commentary; desert spirituality; food; waste and ....

A few years ago I called time and ceased blogging altogether - although there was an occasional post. I had called it quits. I am an aged woman these days with a couple of serious illnesses. I am not allowed to drive. I am no longer active in organisations. I think it fair to say that I am housebound. I am active on Facebook, although I am not there as often as once I was. I have decided to embark on a re-entry into the blogging world ... beginning with The Trad Pad and, possibly, a return to my food blog, Oz Tucker. I have always used a lot of photographs on my blogs ... and I miss not being out and about with my camera.

The Trad Pad has been my blog for the lovely things of life. The controversial or political has seldom intruded. Occasionally, the spiritual has found its way in, but I kept spirituality for the blog, Desert. I don't yet know if I will revive that. I will stick pretty much to food and the lovely things of life. If I have some regularity with those two categories, I feel that I will be doing well. I hope that, with this blog new friendships can be formed and old friendships renewed; new lovelies discovered; new reflections can enter into the meaning of modern life. I would love to hear from you - particularly if you have suggestions for new topics to enter into the conversation. So, it is a new year. Let's see what it has in store, what it can bring to us. And I hope that those who share the spirit of The Trad Pad can spread the message of a world of beauty, the creativity of humanity, and the joys of simplicity and tradition. ~~~ February, 2017

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Riding on the sheep's back

Over at Getting Stitched on the Farm, Kristin is talking about shearing the sheep.
So, Miss Eagle thought, I will talk about sheep and shearing in Australia.

Somewhere, sometime, during the last fifty years, Australia ceased riding on the sheep's back.
This was the phrase which highlighted Australia's economic dependence on wool.
This was the phrase which highlighted our interest in the price of wool.
To-day, it's sharemarket prices and not the price of wool that captures the nation's attention.


Miss Eagle recently spotted this beautiful merino on a gate in Dunkeld in western Victoria.
Did the owners make their golden pile from the sheep's back?
From beautiful flocks like this one, near Dunkeld.

Grazing sheep near Broken Hill in New South Wales is different from grazing in Victoria.
The desert, the rocky outcrops of the Barrier Range.
These pictures were taken in August 2006 at The Nine Mile.

The above collage shows the homestead.

Greg and Mia, the owners, are drafting sheep prior to sale.
They are assisted by Greg's father, John.


This ancient shearing shed is at Acacia Vale now part of The Nine Mile.


This is the interior...
the shearer's stands...
natural light...
the sorting table...


the pens...
another view of the pens...
the view from the shearing shed...
stencils hanging on the wall waiting for use on a wool pack...
the wool press...


The trough filled with artesian water.

3 comments:

BwcaBrownie said...

"did the owners make their golden pile from the sheep's back?"

He is a QC.

About November 10 the Dunkeld Picnic Races are on and there's Polo too. it's a good time to visit Narrepumelat the incredible bluestone mansion nearby at Wickliffe too.
Souvenir teatowels from the Dunkeld Information Centre have the area's beautiful Blue Wrens on them.

Unknown said...

Dear BWCA, good to hear from you. Back from your sojourn in the western district? And is this knowledge an outcome of the recent sojourn or did you, being the clever thing you are, know all this anyway? Sounds like great jollities in a beautiful part of the world. But, Miss Eagle asks, does it conflict with the Dandenong Show?

Blessings and bliss

Meow (aka Connie) said...

Great photos, Miss Eagle.
It sure is different for the graziers out Broken Hill way ... but what amazing countryside.
Take care, Meow

ShareThis