Revival

A message from Brigid ....

I have been a blogger since 2005. At the height of my blogging busy-ness, I had "a small stable" of blogs on different topics: social and political commentary; desert spirituality; food; waste and ....

A few years ago I called time and ceased blogging altogether - although there was an occasional post. I had called it quits. I am an aged woman these days with a couple of serious illnesses. I am not allowed to drive. I am no longer active in organisations. I think it fair to say that I am housebound. I am active on Facebook, although I am not there as often as once I was. I have decided to embark on a re-entry into the blogging world ... beginning with The Trad Pad and, possibly, a return to my food blog, Oz Tucker. I have always used a lot of photographs on my blogs ... and I miss not being out and about with my camera.

The Trad Pad has been my blog for the lovely things of life. The controversial or political has seldom intruded. Occasionally, the spiritual has found its way in, but I kept spirituality for the blog, Desert. I don't yet know if I will revive that. I will stick pretty much to food and the lovely things of life. If I have some regularity with those two categories, I feel that I will be doing well. I hope that, with this blog new friendships can be formed and old friendships renewed; new lovelies discovered; new reflections can enter into the meaning of modern life. I would love to hear from you - particularly if you have suggestions for new topics to enter into the conversation. So, it is a new year. Let's see what it has in store, what it can bring to us. And I hope that those who share the spirit of The Trad Pad can spread the message of a world of beauty, the creativity of humanity, and the joys of simplicity and tradition. ~~~ February, 2017

Friday, August 10, 2007

Show and Tell Friday - Home School of American Literature

Kelli, this Show and Tell is especially for you - because you home-school your kids.

This was an Ebay find. I forgot to check postage on this and it was quite a shock because the book is s-o-o thick and s-o-o heavy. A lesson learned. I am always particular about postage since this purchase. But I don't regret the purchase. It is a magnificent old book in wonderful condition.
While the book promotes American literature, it is not exclusively American as it contains the works of major English writers. In fact, the three portraits on the cover include Tennyson beside Longfellow and Hawthorne.
The words on the title page are as follows:

Home School of American Literature or Easy Steps to an Education or The Lives and Writings of our Best Authors embracing The great poets of England and America, famous novelists, distinguished essayists and historians, our humorists, noted journalists and magazine contributors, statesmen in literature, noted women in literature, popular writers for young people, great orators and public lecturers, etc./Compiled and edited by William Wilfred Bursall, A.B., Principal of Central School, Philadelphia; Rufus M Jones, A.M., Professor of Philosophy, Haverford College, and others/Embellished with nearly one hundred and fifty half-tone portraits and about 200 text illustrations by Charles Dana Gibson, Corwin K. Linson and Others/Published by Elliott Publishing Co., Philadelphia, PA.

The facing page to the title page has a photograph of "The New Congressional Library, Washington, D.C." On the obverse of the title page are the words:

Entered according to Act of Congress in the year 1897, by W.E. Scull in the office of the Librarian of Congress, in Washington. All rights reserved/All persons are warned not to infringe upon our copyright by using either the matter or the pictures in this volume.

The book has a specific section for Recitation.

I purchased the book because I have a small collection of the works of Rufus Jones, a great Quaker writer. Some people think that if Quakers had saints then Rufus Jones would be one!

I find books such as these a delight - and some more might pop up in Show and Tell!

Blessings and bliss to you Kelli and to all Show-ers and Tell-ers

17 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

What a great find!! And wonderful purchase. I really think I'd do the same, as we collect books around our house!!!

Great show and tell!! Mine's posted too. About an 'antique' keyboard of mine!!!

Lallee said...

Your book looks like a treasure.

Lady of the house said...

You've piqued my curiosity. I'd love to know more about Rufus Jones. After reading about the Quakers in Michener's _The Chesapeake_, if been especially curious about the Quakers.

What an excellent book you've found.

LBP said...

That is so cool! I love old books.

Carole Burant said...

What a wonderful treasure that book is!! I know what you mean about the postage when winning something on ebay...I learned a hard lesson with that too! lol xo

Pen of Jen said...

Wow! As a home schooler and a lover of Books....AWESOME:)

I think that this is a great find!

Anonymous said...

I love old books, too. That is a great one. Enjoy! I'll look forward to seeing more of your old books in the future...

Anonymous said...

What an absolutely amazing find!
Thanks for sharing!!!

Marci said...

What a great find. I know what you mean about checking postage.

Gina E. said...

What a fantastic eBay win! I would love a closer look at that next time I am at your place, please Miss E!

Anonymous said...

What a great find!

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Aren't books wonderful! I don't know much about home schooling...was it the same in 1897 as today? I imagine that so many children would have been taught at home back then, but maybe not. Congratulations on your find; and I know it contains some timeless good literature that still has much to offer today.

Kelli said...

I just love old books and your is really wonderful!!! A great find!
Kelli

Unknown said...

Love that Remington Rand, dear HA! Brings back all those agonizing memories of learning to touch type. But - like riding a bike - once learned never forgotten. Fifty years after I learned to type, struggling and tearful, I bash away at a computer keyboard at somewhere around 90wpm and a career of typing behind me.

Blessings and bliss

Anita said...

A great find indeed! Homeschooling is totally unknown here in Germany but I am very interested in it.

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Interesting looking book. I admire home school teachers!

Katherine

Pear tree cottage! said...

You find this book a delight and as always when I come over to visit I find your blog a delight ((smiles)) always.

THis is a beautiful part of history, your show and tell.

have a lovely week. Lee-ann

ShareThis