Revival

A message from Brigid ....

I have been a blogger since 2005. At the height of my blogging busy-ness, I had "a small stable" of blogs on different topics: social and political commentary; desert spirituality; food; waste and ....

A few years ago I called time and ceased blogging altogether - although there was an occasional post. I had called it quits. I am an aged woman these days with a couple of serious illnesses. I am not allowed to drive. I am no longer active in organisations. I think it fair to say that I am housebound. I am active on Facebook, although I am not there as often as once I was. I have decided to embark on a re-entry into the blogging world ... beginning with The Trad Pad and, possibly, a return to my food blog, Oz Tucker. I have always used a lot of photographs on my blogs ... and I miss not being out and about with my camera.

The Trad Pad has been my blog for the lovely things of life. The controversial or political has seldom intruded. Occasionally, the spiritual has found its way in, but I kept spirituality for the blog, Desert. I don't yet know if I will revive that. I will stick pretty much to food and the lovely things of life. If I have some regularity with those two categories, I feel that I will be doing well. I hope that, with this blog new friendships can be formed and old friendships renewed; new lovelies discovered; new reflections can enter into the meaning of modern life. I would love to hear from you - particularly if you have suggestions for new topics to enter into the conversation. So, it is a new year. Let's see what it has in store, what it can bring to us. And I hope that those who share the spirit of The Trad Pad can spread the message of a world of beauty, the creativity of humanity, and the joys of simplicity and tradition. ~~~ February, 2017

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Gina, social history and Elsternwick


Yesterday, blogging went one step further for Miss Eagle. Miss Eagle, dear Reader, had the great pleasure of meeting one of her blogging friends face to face. Not only did we meet but we spent a whole morning together. The friend, dear Reader, is Gina: she of Patra's Place, Patra's Other Place, and Patracat's Memories.

The meeting came about because of some posts Miss Eagle did about The Collecting Chemist of Elsternwick which can be found here, here and here. Well, what a morning! Walking around Elsternwick was a social history done with Gina. She provided a fount of information.

Miss Eagle thought it was strange when she first noticed the apartment block, The Renown, in Glenhuntly Road. She thought it passing strange to see an apartment building with such a name. More like a theatre she thought - especially when the name is also displayed in an art deco font. Guess what? Thanks to Gina, I now know that The Renown was one of Elsternwick's two picture shows. Gina, here - if you scroll down this page - you will find someone else with memories of The Renown. We also had to pay homage to The Esquire - the other picture show - which has been renamed The Classic.

Then we hit the Opp Shops. Miss Eagle thinks that Gina takes the crown as Queen of the Opp Shops. Now if you are someone or you know someone who could challlenge for this title, please email Miss Eagle off the sidebar and we will have to see how the contest can be staged. Gina knows where the Opp Shops are and is determined to get there. Perambulations down Glen Huntly Road brought more social history. "Now when I walked home from school I used to go down this street because my girlfriend lived there." " This is the shop where all my brother's clothes came from." In the door, and her bee-line is for the linen. You should understand, dear Reader, that Gina is a collector - a collector of linen as you will note when you visit her sites. As well, she is a needleworker. So her first port of call will be the linen. No linen? Little interest. And we did find one Opp Shop - no names, no pack drill - who had no linen. Predominantly clothes, so Miss Eagle was not much interested either.

A bonus to the expedition was Miss Eagle's discovery of a garage sale of no mean proportions right on Glenhuntly Road. Gina might be Queen of the Opp Shops but Miss Eagle can sniff the wind for a garage sale. This was a good one. Miss Eagle was busy buying a sewing table, decorative tins, and jewellery while Gina was head down in amongst the linen. Miss Eagle wandered over and found a beautiful piece in her hand - a doily displaying a map of Australia with each state carrying its floral emblem. Beautiful! Gina let your correspondent have it, dear Reader, since she already had a similar one in her collection. Your correspondent, of course, was thrilled. Even Herself, no great lover of linen, admired it. To be continued....

Footnote: Sharon, Gina said your were working. We missed you. We think it would have been a riot had you come too.

6 comments:

lazy cow said...

Fascinating, Miss Eagle. My parents lived in Elsternwick when they were first married in the early 1960s. I'm going to ask my Dad (who has a phenomenal memory) if he remembers this old theatre.
Glad you and Gina had a lovely day.

Unknown said...

LC, we had such a great time I'm giving some thought to how a few more of us might be included. There is Grogblogging for Melbourne bloggers (they had one of their dos at a Carlton pub on Friday night - or is it next Fri) but some of us might not be their demographic. At the moment, Miss Eagle is toying with the idea of doing a Bastille Day theme on 15 July and calling it Frogblogging. Wotchareckon?

Gina E. said...

I am sure your Dad will remember both theatres in Elsternwick, L.C. I lived in South Caulfield and held a post office box in Elsternwick until mid-1970's and both theatres were still operative at that time, as far as I can remember.
Miss Eagle, I love the idea of getting together with like minded bloggers, but Grogblogging is definitely not my scene! Coffee/Tea blogging would be more like it for this old girl! By the way, love the pic of me - do you mind if I put a copy on my PC to keep for myself?

Unknown said...

Gina, treat the photo as your own - which it is. I am making a list of possibilities of names and themes and hopefully will post some suggestions some time during the week. We can share the fun can't we, Gina?

lazy cow said...

I think Frogblogging sounds like a good idea. I've never met any fellow bloggers before and am a little nervous...

Gina E. said...

Nothing to be nervous about, LC! We are just two middle aged ladies out for some fun!

ShareThis